Monday, September 01, 2008

Taste Makers: Vol 1- The Beers (and Wines) of Summer


I like to think that I am a man that enjoys the finer things in life as well as the not-so-fine things in life. Today I am going to concentrate on 2 of the biggest things that bring the people together: beer and wine. I work at a restaurant part-time and get to try lots of different beverages so I have been compiling a list of my favorites.

Let's start with the brews...I have had a number of beers this summer that surprised me or intrigued me and thought I would share:

Westmalle Trappist Ale: (A) I found this at Kroger for $5.99 no less! I haven't seen it in there since...needless to say, it is a rich, full bodied ale bottled by monks and tastes like it has been blessed.

Ommegang Abbey Ale: (A-) This had some rich flavors of nuts and berries and was a delicious treat...serve warm for best results

Hoegaarden White Ale: (B+) This is the original white beer from Belgium. It has a bite to it that you won't soon forget, but it's somehow still so very smooth.

BBC Small Batch Hefeweizen: (B+) This is a local beer that, in my opinion, far surpasses anything I have ever tasted from them save for their Hell for Certain Wheat bear. This Hefeweizen is an unfiltered wheat beer that has a grainy, unfinished quality not unlike orange juice with pulp still in it. My favorite surprise of the summer.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy: (C+) I can safely say that I started picking up Leiney's Red when I first saw it pop up in Kroger for $4.99 and have seen more Leinenkugel products pop up over time and the price has popped up as well to about $7.49 for a six-pack. Anyway, this summer shandy is a blend of wheat beer and lemonade. It didn't sound good at first, but it wasn't as bad as expected. That being said, it's an interesting drink, but be sure to have a lot of friends over because you'd be a trooper to go a full six rounds with this little guy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now for the grapes...This summer has seen my tastebuds celebrating with my new appreciation for white wines. I'm sure by late fall, I will be cuddling up with a nice Beaujolais, but here are a few of the whites that have blown me away this summer...

Domaine Richou "Chavigne" Dry Chenin Blanc '05: (A) Lots of experts would say never to touch a Chenin Blanc from France, but they obviously never had this citrus and apple-infused crisp summer wine. This particular bottle comes from the Loire Valley region in France and is specifically from a smaller region within the Loire Valley called Anjou. It is a fantasticly dry French wine with lots of flavor and character and I have never had such a pleasant experience than sitting down with this bottle and bowl of blackberries.

Nigl Freiheit Gruner Veltliner '07: (B+) This Austrian grape has a wonderful herbaceous character and this bottle is an exquisite example of it done right. A wonderful summer wine that is the perfect complement to a night out on your back deck with a big pot of Shrimp Pesto Fettucine.

Mark Tempe Alsace Reisling '00: (B) I know what you're thinking..."an 8-year-old riesling can't still be good" but you'd be wrong. This honey-colored delight was sharp and crisp and was a wonderful surprise. Make sure to drink it one sitting though because it won't store once you open it.


That's it for now...enjoy your Labor Day! I'm going to a cookout!

No comments: