Sunday, September 14, 2008

Notable Nights: Vol. 1: Good Luck @ Skull Alley



After the wonderful wedding of my good friends Paul and Sarah, I, along with a few friends, headed down to the wonderful Louisville all-ages venue called Skull Alley. I have been waiting for the show that happened there tonight for quite some time and I can't even begin to relay to you the excitement that I felt. I tried super-hard to think of the last time that I was literally giddy to see a show. You see, there is this band that I am currently in obsession with and their name is called Good Luck. They were playing with three other acts, but we only got to see the one right before them, which happened to be a wonderfully talented singer-songwriter named Paul Baribeau. Paul's set was heartfelt and spastic like a wonderful mess. A highlight was when he ripped through the mercilessly short "10 Things" and brought the room along for his sing-along. It's the kind of performance ability that your typical singer-songwriter could only dream about...

After Paul opened our hearts and left us a little down after his incredible but incredibly depressing last song, Matt, Ginger, and Mike took the stage and ripped apart the room with their high-energy, caution-to-the-wind, no-holds-barred set of transcendent pop songs. They played quite a few of the tracks off of their record Into Lake Griffy including my favorites "Pajammin", "The Stars Were Exploding", and the unbelievable chaos with their set-closer "Public Radio". I couldn't help but scream along during "Pajammin" when Matt rightfully noted "Oh, the feeling!/It's spreading up to the ceiling/When the band plays everyone's favorite song". It was a nice touch as the whole crowd bobbed up and down to their erratic and energetic rhythms. Their music is a wonderful mix-up of Sunset Tree-era The Mountain Goats and an endless amount of energy and fun. I can't remember the last time I saw a band have as much fun as they did on stage. It was inspiring and impressive. I couldn't recommend this band enough. Go to their site and buy their record, or go to a show and buy a record and a t-shirt or whatever. Just do yourself a solid and listen!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

By the way, I've been unable to stop listening to Good Luck. It's like some kind of compulsion. I just can't help myself!