Monday, September 01, 2008

Generic Gems


This particular entry is a celebration of the gloriousness that is finding a generic food item and it tasting great!! Let me just tell you, I love generic brand food. I try to buy it more than I buy name-brand stuff. There are some things that just don't taste good or are not well made, but some of it is as good if not better than the expensive stuff. If you are a college kid, close to broke, or just plain ole poor, then this post is for you!


Great Generic Food:

Kroger's Big K Black Cherry Soda: Part of me wishes I didn't know about this so I wouldn't feel so obligated to buy every time I'm in the store.

Winn Dixie's Dr. Chek Soda: This is by-far the best in the line of Dr. Pepper clones. It handily beats out Dr. Thunder, Mr. Pibb, and even....Dr Pepper.

Sav-A-Lot's Mountain Holler Soda: This is a great version of Mountain Dew and who can resist it with a name like that!

Kroger's Crisp'n Fruity Rice: This the cheap version of Fruity Pebbles. Get this stuff by the bag!! That's the best way to enjoy it.

Aldi's Millville Peanut Butter and Chocolate Spheres: This is the cheap but delicious version of Reeses Cereal. A pure delight for your mouth and your pocketbook.

Kroger's Private Selection Hot and Sweet Stone Ground Mustard: Do yourself a favor and get this mustard. It turns a plain old bologna sandwich into a wonderful deli-style turkey sandwich!!! Magic!

*There is quite a bit of confusion over whether or not the Faygo company out of Detroit, Michigan is a generic beverage company. I prefer to think that they are not a generic company, just a company that makes incredible products at a very low cost to the consumer. Here are a few of their most celebrated and most delicious flavors:

*Creme Soda: A new take on an old classic. Check it out!
*Rock and Rye: A red-pop with kick and taste to boot!
*Moon Mist: Probably the best Mountain Dew imitator.

Buying cheap doesn't have to mean buying crap...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gotta love the off-brands! I also vote for Meijer's Cola...just as good as Coke, I think! But, I do NOT like their diet cola. Mary Donnelly

Scott Kirkpatrick said...

It's been a while since I've had Meijer's Cola. I need to try it again...