Tuesday, September 02, 2008

The 5 Spot: John Cusack


The top 5 best John Cusack movies

#5: The Grifters- You can't go wrong with this con-man movie featuring the always lovely and wonderful Anjelica Huston. Rating: B

#4: Broadway Danny Rose- An interesting yet wonderful entry from the Woody Allen lexicon. I know you haven't seen it so check it out. It features Allen-favorite Dianne Wiest and a ruthless Chazz Palminteri. Rating: B

#3: Say Anything- Some people would consider this to be his best one, but they would be wrong. It's the third best one obviously. Although I still get choked up when I hear "In Your Eyes." Rating: B+

#2: High Fidelity- This is definitely the best movie Jack Black was ever in. It is the perfect movie for us music snobs and Nick Hornby has a way of turning unlovable people into very lovable, yet flawed humans. Rating: A-

AND THE NUMBER ONE JOHN CUSACK MOVIE IS...................................

#1 Better Off Dead- This is not only John Cusack's best movie, but probably one of the greatest romantic comedies of all time. That's right, I said it!! Come on! You've got Booger and all of that crazy food Lane's mom makes and his high-rolling little brother and the paperboy....it's a bonafide classic folks! I love it. I love it. I love it. Rating: A


Honorable Mention:

*Gross Pointe Blank- Most people would say this should be in the top 5 and they might be right, but this isn't their blog so....(sticking out tongue)

*The Ice Harvest- A more recent entry featuring Billy Bob Thorton. A chilling dark comedy...hahaha...I sleigh myself...hahahaha...ok, I'm done.

*Stand By Me- This would have been in the top 5 easy, but his part is super small so its not. Needless to say, this Stephen King-penned yarn is one of my faves.

*Being John Malkovich- Of course a lot of people will think that this Charlie Kaufman story should be in there as well. Well, at least we all agree that he's had a great career so far.

Also, he's got 4 different films in that are either filming, in production, or in post-production so let's hope he's got one up his sleeve that's better than the last few he's been in.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love John Cusack's acting. I guess I'm more into the "chick flicks" though! I love him in "Serendipity", "Must Love Dogs" was OK, and he was pretty good in "America's Sweethearts". I have never watched the ones you mentioned, but will certainly put them on my list of must-sees! :) Mary Donnelly

Leslie said...

Thanks for posting this. I have always liked John Cusack, but recently I havemade it my mission to watch as many of his movies as possible (I have a list in my purse ;o) ). My fave so far has to be Grosse Pointe Blank, love, love, love it, especially the sound track!!