Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Tour w/ husband&wife: Part 4 (The Home Stretch)

The show in Lexington wasn't quite what we thought it would be, but it was still really cool. We found out last minute that The Stick Figures weren't playing, but another Cinci band called The Atriums were. While we were loading in I saw a dude named Steve loading his gear in and he used to be roommates with Derek Keijner and Mark Lukey. It turns out that he is in this new band The Atriums and so is an old friend of mine named Billy who I hadn't seen in a long time. I knew both those dudes from completely different circles so its always fun to have your worlds collide like that.

Anyway, the show was at Molly Malone's and it was in the second floor of this bar which was cool. There ended up being a ton of people there towards the end and we played a really solid set that everyone seemed to really like. Derek and Meesh ended up coming as they just happened to be on their way to Cinci when I texted him to say that I was playing a show with Steve. The Atriums had a really great set and it is always nice to see old friends doing well. I have a feeling that Chemic and The Atriums will be doing more stuff together in the future.

On the flip side, I felt absolutely aweful all day long. I was trying to ignore it because I thought I just might have been feeling a little hung over from the night before, but by show time last night I was coughing up my lungs and had a fever and felt absolutely terrible. I was hoping that I wasn't getting pneumonia or anything but by the time we left the show, I was pretty sure that I was full-fledged sick. We decided to drive to Louisville instead of hanging around in Cincinnati and while we were on I-71 I realized that I had left my house key on the keychain that I left in Bloomington in order that Bryant can drive my car back to Louisville to meet up with the boys on tour. Of course, this was about 2AM when I realized this so I had to try to get a hold of Shane or Jon to let me in the house, but I was pretty sure that neither of them were actually staying at the house...plus my phone was about to die. So, with the last gasping breath of my phone battery, I got Jon's number and called him a couple times from Will's phone. He finally called me back and we drove over to his fiance Jordan's apartment to get the house key and get some sleep at the house. We finally settled in around 3 and I chugged cold medicine in order to ward off the evil spirits.

This morning I headed out a little early to the LEO (Louisville Eccentric Observer) which is located downtown, and I met up with Mat Herron to do a podcast about Bro. Stephen and the show tonight. It was a good time and Mat was super gracious and even bought me a nice coffee! Mat is the music editor at the LEO and runs his own blog there called Bluegrass Catastrophe. The podcast should be up today and when it goes live I will link it right here.

Tonight is the awesome awesome show with Brooks Ritter at Sunergos Coffee and it starts at 6ish. Bro. Stephen is first, then h&w, then Brooks. I'm really excited! I'm hoping that we'll get to play disc golf again today or do some fun stuff. It's nice to know that we are sleeping in the same place for 2 nights in a row. Of course, I am home for good after tonight and I will start looking into booking a few tours this summer for Chemic and Bro. Stephen! Look out!! I will leave you now with more squirrel pictures...

1 comment:

Stevi said...

i'm glad that your tour is going well :)

also, now i want a pet squirrel.