Saturday, December 13, 2008

The Mix Tape Ten: Jordan Holtane




You can quote me on this: Jordan Holtane is probably my favorite guitar player ever. I have never known someone who can weave melody so beautifully through the strings of a guitar. His guitar doesn't scream or yell, but it sings. It sings like I wish I could. He once introduced me to the band Owen and told me how incredible the dude was at guitar, and we listened and it was great, but all I could think about was how I liked Jordan's playing a lot more. He used to be the guitar player in the most-likely-defunct band Man Cub out of Indianapolis and Indiana's LaRusso. He also happens to be one of the most well-versed people I've ever met when it comes to film. He puts me to shame. He's a great friend and a guy whose taste I trust more than almost anyone. Here he gives us 10 songs that stir up the breezy feelings of autumn for him (even though we have now fully digressed into winter!). Maybe this will help you forget how cold it is. (photo by Davy Rudolph)



Autumn Songs and Signifiers by Jordan Holtane


No specific theme running through these. They just stir up a general autumn feeling inside me, and (I think they) compliment the changing colors, temperatures, and moods of the season.

1. Beirut- Scenic World
from the album “gulag orkestar”






2. The Kingsbury Manx- Animations
from the album “the fast rise and fall of the south”






3. Ronnie Dawson- Rockin’ Bones
from the album “rockin’ bones: the legendary masters”






4. Tobias Hellkvist- step aside
unreleased






5. Pedro the Lion- Slow and Steady Wins the Race
from the album “winners never quit”






6. Clinic- For the Wars
from the album “walking with thee”






7. The Autumn Defense- "The World (Will Soon Turn Our Way)"
from the album Circles






8. Joanna Newsom- "Cosmia"
from the album Ys






9. Aloha- "You’ve Escaped"
from the album Here Comes Everyone






10. Kaki King- "Night After Sidewalk"
from the album Everybody Loves You

No comments: