Saturday, December 13, 2008

The Mix-Tape Ten: Jesse Lucas



These days Jesse Lucas has his hands in a music project or two and works as a video and flash designer while the sun is up. However, back in the day, Jesse was the booty-shakin' makin' bass player for the local (and unparalleled) indie-pop band The Merediths. I had the pleasure of seeing them many times before they fizzled out dangling the prospects of their much-hyped second album Goose Island which never saw the light of day. We were all very saddened by it, and I still have conversations with random people where somebody inevitably says, "Hey, whatever happened to the Merediths?" or "I just found this incredible Louisville band called The Merediths. Have you seen them?" Yes, dude. I have. But you're never going to get to.




My Top Ten Favorite Songs by Jesse Lucas

1. "Hey" - The Pixies (Doolittle)

My favourite song from Doolittle is "Monkey Gone To Heaven". "Hey" is slowly creeping...




2. "My Body Is A Cage" - The Arcade Fire (Neon Bible)

One of the few songs that by passes my ears and sings directly to my soul.





3. "Beetlebum" - Blur (Blur)

I was just talking to my good friend and band mate Jason Zavala about how all Blur recordings have great separation of instruments. This song is put together so well. The lyrics are insanely personal and really touch the listener. Plus the bass line to this song is incredible!


4. "Three Cigarettes In An Ashtray" - Patsy Cline (Best of Patsy Cline)

Patsy Cline was one of my mother's favourite singers. Now I understand why. The best 2 minute and 31 second description of heartbreak ever.




5. "Pig" - Sparklehorse (Good Morning Spider)

Probably not the first song you think of when you think about Sparklehorse, but damn this song rocks!




6. Honey Bee - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers (Wildflowers)

This song is sexy! Just listen to the lead guitar!





7. Wedding Bell - Beach House (Devotion)

One of the newer albums I have. The vocal melodies really move me here.





8. "Jed's Other Poem (Beautiful Ground)" - Grandaddy (The Sophtware Slump)

It's really hard to pick just one song from Sophtware Slump. This song just deserves to be listened too on repeat. My description won't do it justice.



9. "Smith & Jones Forever"- Silver Jews (American Water)

A song that begs you to sing along with it. People should listen to more Silver Jews.




10. "Bullet" - Misfits (Misfits)

If you would have asked my top 10 songs 10 years ago, when I was 16, it would have been half misfits and half minor threat. This song has definitely withstood the test of time with me.

No comments: